LAST UPDATED: September 2019
Edmund Optics Inc wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information. We want you to be in control of how we use your personal data and to make you aware of your rights, and our legal basis for using this information.
As Edmund Optics is headquartered in the United States, we may transfer information collected from you on our websites to the United States. By using our websites, you agree to this transfer and to allow us to use and disclose your information in accordance with this policy.
- Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
- This Act covers the collection of information.
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
- This Act covers the sending of electronic messages.
This data may be collected through:
- Our "Websites", including, but not limited to:
- Our “Social Media Pages”, located at:
- Email messages that we may send to you.
- Offline, through interactions with our staff, for example when you contact us for Customer or Technical support by telephone or fax or when you visit us at a trade show.
1. Collection of Personal Information
We, and our service providers (see Annex 1), may collect information in a variety of ways, known collectively as “EO Services”, including:
- Through our “On-line Services”: We may collect information through one or more on-line services provided by Edmund Optics:
- When you visit our website:
- MAC address
- IP address information.
- When you sign up for a newsletter.
- When you request a catalogue, quotation or on-line chat.
- When you make a purchase on our website or by e-mail.
- When you communicate with us via e-mail.
- Through our “Off-line Services”: We may collect information from you offline, such as:
- When you attend one of our trade shows.
- When you place an order by telephone, by fax or by postal mail.
- When you contact customer services by telephone, by fax or by postal mail.
- When you visit one of our offices.
- When Making Payments: We may use a third-party payment service to process payments made through our On-line and Off-line Services. If you wish to make a payment through these Services, your payment information will not be held or stored by us, it will be collected by our third-party payment processors, who specialise in the secure capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions.
- 3rd Party Information: If you disclose any information relating to other people, to us or to our service providers, in connection with these Services, you confirm that you have the authority to do so and that you permit us to store and use this information.
2. What is Personal Information?
a) Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
“Personal Information” (PI) is defined within PIPEDA as any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, such as:
- ID numbers
- Opinions, evaluations, comments
- Employee files
- Intentions (for example, to aquire goods or services).
PIPEDA does not cover the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organisation.
b) Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL)
CASL requires that we obtain consent from you prior to the sending of any marketing information. We will send you an opt-in e-mail, which requires your action, before we will mail any of the information listed in Section 3.c.1 and 3.c.2. This consent can also be withdrawn at any time, see section 8 for further information.
3. Use of your Information.
We, and our service providers, may use your information in the following situations:
a) For Contract Purposes
- To fulfil your online or offline orders, your quotation or catalogue requests, or to provide you with any other related customer services.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
b) To Fulfil Legal Obligations
- For legitimate business purposes such as fraud monitoring and prevention, identity checks, audits, adherence to local strategic export controls surrounding transfer of technical data, accountancy related filings or security alerts in connection with your Edmund Optics account.
c) For Marketing Purposes
- To send you Marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you including:
- Educational content: Whitepapers, e-books etc.
- Product Annoucements and promotions
- Webinar Invites
- Local Events including Trade Shows, training sessions etc.
- Monthly Newsletter
- Company news flashes and initiatives.
- To personalise your experience of our On-line Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you, both on our Websites and on Social Media Pages.
- To assist us in developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To investigate any issues reported to us via the web feedback form and to forward to other offices and/or affiliates to follow up as necessary, in order to resolve the issue.
- To periodically send, by postal mail, our latest product catalogue unless you have previously opted out of receiving this catalogue.
Please see section 8 for additional information in relation to your rights and the Personal Information that you provide to us.
4. Information Sharing
Your information may be disclosed:
- Between Edmund Optics offices and/or our affiliates for:
- The purposes of order fulfilment.
- Local contact follow-up.
- Local marketing related purposes.
- To our third-party service providers who provide services such as:
- Website Hosting
- Data Analysis
- Payment Processing
- Order/Delivery Fulfillment
- Information Technology and Related Infrastructure Provision
- Customer Services
- E-mail Delivery
- Catalogue Delivery
- Auditing and other services.
- Publicy by you, on message boards, chats, profile pages, blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content hosted by Edmund Optics.
- To the following third parties:
- Content providers, to permit them to send you electronic marketing communications.
- Sponsors of award programs, contests and similar promotions.
5. Other Uses and Disclosures
We also may use and disclose your information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
- To comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject. This may include laws outside your country of residence.
- To enforce our terms and conditions.
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- We may use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
6. Third Party Services
Third Party Linking
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
7. Data Security
We are committed to using all reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect the information that you provide to us. When inputting information onto our website, sensitive information (such as credit or debit card information) is encrypted and protected via SSL encryption, and is subsequently transferred and tokenised by our payment provider. Edmund Optics does not store your credit or debit card information on any of our systems.
Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
8. Choices and Access
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your information for Marketing Purposes
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from any of these services as follows:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you would like to withdraw your consent to receive marketing-related emails, you may opt-out by:
- Clicking the unsubscribe link in the email
- Contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
- Unsubscribing from our electronic newsletters or other email marketing online at https://www.edmundoptics.com/contact-support/email-newsletter/unsubscribe/
- Receiving our catalogue: If you no longer want to receive our product catalogue, you may withdraw your consent by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below or online at: https://www.edmundoptics.com/unsubscribe/
We will comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you withdraw consent to receive marketing related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative or order related messages.
9. How you can update or suppress your Information
If you would like to update or suppress information that you have previously disclosed to us, you may contact us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below for any of the following:
- Request the correction of your information.
- Withdraw your consent to our continued use of your information.
In your request, please make clear what information is affected and what changes you would like to make, or let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your information. A record of any updates or withdrawals of consent will be recorded solely for the purposes of ensuring compliance with your request.
For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
10. Retention Period
We will only use and store your information for as long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long it will be stored for depends on the information in question, what it is being used for and, sometimes, statutory legal requirements.
11. Use of “EO Services” by Minors
Edmund Optics’ “EO Services” are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we do not knowingly collect information from individuals under 13.
12. Sensitive Information
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us. Where unsolicited sensitive Personal Information is received it will not be retained.
Edmund Optics commits to making best efforts to resolve all complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your information. Complaints should be directed to Edmund Optics by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Edmund Optics has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints to an independent dispute resolution mechanism operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit www.bbb.org for more information and to file a complaint. This service is provided free of charge to you.
15. Contacting Us
The Marketing department, located at the address below, is responsible for collection, use and disclosure of your information.
- by email at email@example.com
- by phone at 1-800-363-1992
- by fax at 1-856-573-6295
- by post at:
Allison Lloyd – Database Director
101 East Gloucester Pike
Barrington, NJ 08007-1380
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.
Annex 1. List of service providers
Edmund Optics utilises the services of various third parties in various different functional areas, including, but not limited to, Shipment logisitics, Data backup and recovery, IT security and Marketing/Marketing communications.
The following are representative of some of the companies whose services we utilise:
- United Parcel Service of America, Inc.
- DHL International GmbH
- Fedex Corp
- TNT Holdings B.V.
- United States Postal Service
- Royal Mail
Marketing and Marketing Communications:
- Google Inc
- LiveChat Inc
- Meritdirect LLC
or view regional numbers
enter stock numbers to begin
Copyright 2020, Edmund Optics Inc., 101 East Gloucester Pike, Barrington, NJ 08007-1380 USA
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA): Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information
California Transparency in Supply Chains Act