Senior Optical Design Engineer
Position: Senior Optical Design Engineer
Reports To: Director of Design Engineering
A design position, which incorporates optical design and optical tolerancing for standard products and customer designs.
- Execute optical designs for product development and external customers
- Provide support to customers needing assistance developing optical systems
- Design evaluation and tolerance for product development and external customers
- Development of design and analysis tools and procedures
- Assist in development of other design engineers
- Presentation of design results and analysis of performance
- Participate in Design Reviews
- Peer review fellow designers work
- Support internal technical training efforts
- Attend training
- Support document control
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in optical principles and optical design and/or proficiency Optomechanical design
- Understanding of basic optical principals and basic mechanical principals
- Understanding of lab techniques
- Proficiency in optical design software (i.e. Zemax, CodeV, Fred)
- Knowledge of company products and applications
- Understanding of document control and best engineering practices
- Great communication, organization, and math skills
- Motivated and self-starter
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in optical sciences, physics or equivalent experience; ten (10) or more years experience in the optical industry.
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time; ability to travel; work in office setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.