Product Line Engineer
Position: Product Line Engineer
Department: Product Line Management
Reports To: Product Line Manager
Product Line Engineers are the subject matter experts at Edmund Optics. By being experts on markets, applications, or technologies, Product Line Engineers provide critical support in developing and implementing a product strategy that is consistent with Edmund Optics’ technological vision and core competencies. A PLE has the technical acumen to recognize gaps in our product offering, marketing initiatives, or manufacturing capabilities, and the business acumen to fill those gaps to profitably serve our customers. Through customer interaction, market analysis, and competitive insight, Product Line Engineers ensure our products meet the needs of our customers, improving customer acquisition and retention efforts and ensuring the profitable growth of our standard product business. Responsibilities include the strategic and tactical management of specific product areas, including developing and expanding existing product families, selecting new products, executing an end-of-life strategy for underperforming products, and meeting with customers to determine the needs and future of the market. A PLE will work closely with our Product Line Managers and other functional areas including sales, marketing, and design engineering to support his or her efforts of ensuring profitable standard product growth. Some travel is required.
- Define product lines
- Responsible for product line presentation completeness
- Responsible for product launches with engineering, marketing, and sales by coordinating and utilizing all available marketing/sales channels
- Responsible for support the company’s sales and marketing efforts by attending tradeshows and conferences, visiting with customers, writing industry articles, and providing trainings and seminars
- Execute plans for product lines
- Implement strategic plans for product lines, including new product additions, end-of-life processes, and revenue and profitability growth initiatives
- Maintain product roadmaps
- Execute on IP strategy
- Create, review, and/or edit documentation for the website, including line-art, technical drawings, prescription data files, filter curves, specification sheets, and cut sheets
- Make recommendations regarding product pricing
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- High level of personal initiative
- Strong analytical skills
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Product and technology expert
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Willingness to work with many groups, across departments, and show strong team spirit
- Strong leadership skills, with ability to motivate and train people
- Can manage heavy workload of multiple, concurrent projects and priorities at once
- Excellent problem solving and creative thinking capabilities
- Comfortable with all MS Office software
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or related technical field; two (2) years experience in an optical or physics lab, or in product support of optical or photonics components.
Ability to travel; work in office and/or lab setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.