Precision Optics Business Development Manager
Position: Precision Optics Business Development Manager
Reports To: Manager, Product Line Management
The Precision Optics Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for increasing revenue in the optical components business, with an initial focus on aspheric components, and providing feedback to Edmund Optics (EO) product and engineering groups on how to expand our optics offering. The BDM is responsible for developing and executing on business plans related to optics and photonics product growth and development efforts. This multifaceted position includes networking with industry leaders, researching industry events, and publications to align our product development with EO’s customer needs. The BDM will work closely with other functional areas including the leadership team consisting of sales, marketing, and design engineering to develop objectives, presentations and financial proposals for new product initiatives.
- Develop and execute on a strategic business plan with a focus on long-term product revenue growth and technological advancement around optical components and their applications
- Identify product and technology trendsetters within the optics and photonics and its enabled applications to accelerate our product development
- Grow revenue via strategic account development and partnerships
- Evaluate new opportunities to ensure alignment with our optics and photonics industry products strategy and corporate vision
- Develop strategy positioning by understanding partners' needs, goals and risk profiles
- Enhance the organization's value proposition to our partners by offering market-leading optic and photonic solutions
- Network with industry leaders to ensure that the EO product roadmap aligns with what is needed in the market
- Align with corporate leadership to ensure corporate success
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Product and technology knowledge around optical components and its applications is a must
- Proven record of identifying opportunities leading to new optics-related business
- High level of personal initiative to find new opportunities for EO core products and capabilities
- Strong communications skills to be seen as an authority in the optical component field
- Strong analytical skills and creative thinking capabilities to understand how to convert a customer need to an optical/photonics solution
- Strong negotiation skills resulting in demonstration of quick turnaround of customer projects
- Strong presentation skills to key decision makers regarding optical and photonics opportunities
- Willingness to work with many groups, across departments, and show strong team spirit
- Can manage heavy workload of multiple, concurrent projects and priorities at once
- Strong customer focus
- Comfortable in multi-cultural/global environment
- Comfortable in a matrix-managed organization
- Comfortable with all MS Office software
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or related technical field; minimum seven (7+) years of photonics industry a critical requirement. In addition, the person needs experience in business development or similar customer facing positions.
Ability to travel up to 40% nationwide on a regular basis. Some overnight and international travel is required. Work in office and/or lab setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.