Laser Optics Project Manager: Project Ideation & Strategy
Position: Laser Optics Project Manager: Project Ideation & Strategy
Reports To: Product Line Manager, Laser Optics
The Laser Optics Project Manager is a product visionary within this field. They are responsible for developing and executing the Laser Optics product strategy. Responsibilities include the strategic and tactical management of a specific product line, including developing and expanding existing product families, selecting new products, executing an end-of-life strategy for underperforming products, and meeting with customers to determine the needs and future of the market. They will work closely with other functional areas including sales, marketing, and design engineering to develop objectives, presentations and financial proposals for new product initiatives. Travel is required.
- Responsible for full cycle from idea to product realization and implementation and final customer experience
- Developing and execution of the vision and strategy for the Laser Optics product lines. The Product strategy must be supported by realistic returns on investment, marketing data, and business plan
- Identify new domains and applications enabled by lasers
- Stay up to date with current state of the art laser technology and supporting products and share and relevant information with the team and key stakeholders
- Analyze target markets/segments and create a solid definition of their application needs and potential for new products. Position these new products in the marketplace. Requires working closely with sales, marketing, and external experts to gain an in-depth understanding of each market/segment and the competition
- Determine product pricing
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Basic product and technology knowledge around laser optical components and its applications is a must
- Proven record of managing optically related product lines leading to new product launches
- Strong communications and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills and creative thinking capabilities to understand how to convert a customer need to an optical/photonics solution
- Willingness to work with many groups, across departments, and show strong team spirit
- Strong customer focus
- Comfortable in multi-cultural/global environment
- Comfortable in a matrix-managed organization
- Comfortable with all MS Office software
- High level of personal initiative
Master’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or related technical field; three (3) years’ experience from non-imaging optics or lasers in product support, product development, or product management.
Ability to travel up to 15% nationwide on a regular basis. Some overnight and international travel is required. Work in office and/or lab setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.