Key Account Engineer – Defense Programs
Position: Key Account Engineer – Defense Programs
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Director Quality Assurance
A Key Account Engineer – Defense Programs works as key member of the Quality Assurance Team, directly supporting existing custom or EO Manufactured business within defined key Defense accounts. It is essential to develop and maintain strong internal relationships to help solve engineering, quality, delivery, and logistical issues. Acts as a conduit for sales (customer facing), QA, Supply Chain (3rd party suppliers), Supplier Development, Cross Functional Escalation team, and Operations (EO factories).
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously. Technical aptitude with strong logistics and operations understanding. Detail oriented. Responsive to deadlines and performs under pressure. Demonstrates sound business sense and judgment. Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Manage Defense program key account First Article (FAI) , Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP), serial production issues such as schedule misses, quality issues and general opportunities for improvement
- Works alongside Regional Sales Managers and Solutions Engineers to ensure continuous improvement activities are followed through to completion
- Works closely with other departments including Supply Chain, Operations, Quality Assurance, Cross Functional teams, and Distribution to quickly and effectively solve customer issues
- Provides reports and records notes in ERP, CRM, and VRM systems. Utilizes appropriate tools to analzye trends and highlight concerns, such as at-risk deliveries, disconnects between design and manufacturing, or recurring quality issues
- Initiates outbound communications to customers for:
- Follow-up and manage delivery schedule misses and quality issue resolutions
- Collect and analzye information on reasons for schedule misses and quality issues in order to proactively recommend future improvements (i.e. supplier selection based on capabilities, capacity levels, metrology capabilities)
- Internally communicate customer needs gap analysis within Edmund Optics including the Product Development Group, Project Management, Marketing, and R&D
- Assist to define key account customer value proposition based on trends of current issues, specific customer feedback, and general key account knowledge
- Contribute ideas based on experience and customer knowledge that will continuously improve the department and the company
- Work with supply chain and factories to prioritize schedule with customer escalation
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in Active Listening
- Able to work in highly active work environment
- Able to work effectively across multiple departments and subject matter expertise
- Able to analzye data, identify trends, and tendencies (Excel, Minitab, SQL)
- Proficient in processes such as CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Actions), SDR (Supplier Deviation Request) and SCAR (Supplier Correction Action Request)
- Understand and comply to I.T.A.R. (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) for the US Government requirements and Edmund Optics internal procedures and processes
- Familiar with Defense contract processes such as Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) and advanced shipment notifications
- Familiar with Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS)
- Familiar with Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) Defense Priorities and Allocations System (DPAS) ratings
- Familiar with source inspection requirements
- US citizenship or permanent residence (green card) required
- Ability to service customers with custom product issues
- Must work well independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Excellent telephone skills and verbal communication technique and etiquette
- Make sound decisions based on critical thinking, logical reasoning and ethics
- Professional demeanor. Effective communication skills at all levels of the organization
Bachelors preferred in engineering, mathematics, optics, physics, or hard science; two (2) to four (4) years of successful program management, or similar customer service skill, knowledge or experience preferred.
Ability to operate office equipment such as a copier; ability to sit at desk or PC for long periods of time; work in office setting. Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company's changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer's sole discretion.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.